Rudder Materials & Construction

The area of the Help & Advice forums where requests for help about the centreboard & rudder of an Osprey can be posted. Additionally, if owners or others have hints and tips that might be of benefit to others they can be posted in the forum as well.
No Idea

Re: Rudder Materials & Construction

Post by No Idea »

Sorry. I forgot to add the rest of the pics :oops:

I couldnt get my pintles on, or the strap that holds the tiller as the stock had got thicker.

I had managed to miss the obvious again.

I carefully thinned the top of the stock using my angle grinder and its wood blade. Surprisingly, this is actually easier and a lot neater than trying to do it with the router.
6947.jpg
I chamfered the front edge of the stock where the pintles go as I decided not to cut grooves across the sides as that would weaken it.

I then reshaped the pintles until they fitted.
6948.jpg
A nice new set of bolts from a fastener company was half the price of the same from the chandlery, and they had some nice marine carabines for a puond each, so I had some of those too.

It all fits and now it goes straight down.
6949.jpg
Should have fitted the rope before I bolted it all together
7152.jpg
Time to test it if I can get over my fear of getting wet - after I shorten those bolts, that is.
No Idea

Post by No Idea »

I have now sailed it, but there wasnt enough wind to really tell what effects the changes have made.

Next trip......
No Idea

Post by No Idea »

Viola wrote:Looking good!

Viola
Thank you Viola

Sorry I missed your post :oops:
No Idea

Post by No Idea »

Been out with some wind...

It was blowing about 15, with gusts up to 27kn - according to the tell tales on the yc station.

The rudder is soooo easy!

You can steer it now with your fingertips and you dont need to bend the tiller to keep it straight!

I reached 11.3mph, by which time the boat started to feel weird. Not sure why.

I was on a broad reach and then turned slightly further downwind, which made it pick up some more speed.

The rudder sings!

It does it around 5mph. Its quiet, but it sort of hums. It stops doing it around 6mph according to my gps.

It feels like a different boat.

Thank you for all the help and advice you have given me over this.

I really appreciate it.
DuxDeluxe
Your known name (real identity): David
Your family name (real identity): Springett
Sail Number: 1329
County or State or Province: Essex
Your principle sailing club: Brightlingsea SC

Post by DuxDeluxe »

Sounds like vortices on the trailing edges (or something like that, so I am told). I had it with my CB and rudder for FforT until I replaced it with a Milanes CB and rudder, both of which have a very nicely faired trailing edge