Used cover

An area for general discussion of things related to the Osprey Class.
Africncain
Your known name (real identity): Paul
Your family name (real identity): Clarke
Sail Number: 521
County or State or Province: Worcestershire
Your principle sailing club: NA

Used cover

Post by Africncain »

Having bought 521 last year for less than the cost of the new tyres for the trailer I'm looking to buy a used cover in reasonable condition.
If anyone is looking to replace their old cover and could do with help "covering" the cost of a new one I am happy to oblige :D
webmaster
Site Admin
Your known name (real identity): Huw
Your family name (real identity): Pearce
Sail Number: 0
County or State or Province: Carmarthenshire
Your principle sailing club: Sailwave SC

Re: Used cover

Post by webmaster »

Sorry I can't help with cover. But you could help me please with letting me know some more about your acquisition of Osprey 521. I try and maintain the class boat register which is a challenge!

The last information I have for Osprey 521 is from 2010 but it has been the same from 1972.
Africncain
Your known name (real identity): Paul
Your family name (real identity): Clarke
Sail Number: 521
County or State or Province: Worcestershire
Your principle sailing club: NA

Post by Africncain »

Hi Huw
I bought 521 (Mk 2A) at the end of 2017, only sailed recreationally now, it is a very tired boat that has quite some damage to its bow at some time in the past so only sail her inland at the moment. Not a member of a SC.
Based in Worcestershire
Regards
Paul
webmaster
Site Admin
Your known name (real identity): Huw
Your family name (real identity): Pearce
Sail Number: 0
County or State or Province: Carmarthenshire
Your principle sailing club: Sailwave SC

Post by webmaster »

Paul,

Thank you for the information it is much appreciated. All best with sourcing a cover and all best with renovation.

Kind regards,
Huw
Greymalkin
Your known name (real identity): Dan
Your family name (real identity): Crane
County or State or Province: Solent

Covers, again

Post by Greymalkin »

Gentlemen, I've been distracted by a yacht for the last couple of summers, so Greymalkin hasn't even been launched. I've visited her often enough not to be too worried about her condition but she needs a new cover. There's a big rip from the boom to the deck on the starboard side and I don't want to think how much wildlife has made its home inside. Also, the outside of the cover is mossy and filthy beyond any scrubbing, so I doubt it is still fully breathable.

Is there a favourite fabric and manufacturer for Osprey covers? I like the boom-up style because it doesn't let rain pool.

Also, is there a clever solution (other than duct tape) to seal the mast collar against rain? After downpours I usually find a few pints in the recesses of the forward end of the cockpit floor. The boat is chocked up high at the bow so excess water runs out of the transom pipes, but it would be better if the rain couldn't pour down the mast into the cockpit.