Weymouth Regatta hosted by Castle Cove Sailing Club on 13th and 14th July

A very good turn out of eighteen Ospreys enjoyed some very close and competitive racing at Castle Cove Sailing Club as part of the Weymouth Dinghy Regatta. As this was the last event before the Osprey National Championships at Mounts Bay on the 3rd to 7th August it was an opportunity for several teams to get some practice in before the big event.

The forecast for the weekend was for predominantly light winds and warm sunshine. Saturday’s racing was held out in Weymouth Bay and the fleet sailed out through Portland Harbour in a gentle breeze that faded to nothing once they reached the race area. Eventually the forecast Northerly breeze manifested itself and the fleet got away sailing a trapezoid course followed by a sausage and a windward finish.

Emma Stephenson and Pete Lloyd from Weymouth Sailing Club won the first race in very light winds while Terry Curtis and Peter Greig also from Weymouth won the following two races in slightly more wind. DJ Edwards and Mike Grieg from Tata SC and Mounts Bay SC had three second places to give them the overnight lead. First blood in the battle of the Greig brothers had gone to Mike but there was all to play for on the next day.

Sunday’s racing was held inside Portland Harbour with the wind passing around Portland heights making for some interesting wind bends. There was a bit more wind in the harbour than there had been out at sea allowing trapezing on the beats and some occasionally fast reaches. The tricky conditions made it quite difficult to put a consistent set of results together.The fourth race was won by Ben (Nemo) Hawkes and his crew with Emma and Pete close behind.

The fifth race and sixth races were both won by Andy Barker and Stuart Maunder.

DJ and Mike put in a consistent series without winning a race they were able to discard a sixth and count a run of second and third places to win the event by one point from Terry and Pete who themselves beat Andy and Stuart only on countback.

There was close racing throughout the fleet. Ros and David Downs having loaned “Just Pogo” to Fireball sailers Keith McDonald and Andy Brittain for the Nationals turned up in Osprey 73 built by Bell Woodworking in 1956 and probably the oldest Osprey still in working condition. They did not finish last in any race and in race five rounded the windward mark in 3rd place which they held onto throughout the first lap. It really is true that old Ospreys do not become obsolete.